Monday 18 February 2008

D & AD

Reading through the lots and lots of brief ideas I am torn between choosing one for illustration and advertising or one for animation. Animation would mean I can use flash again and I am just getting into that since my last project. The briefs that currently interest me are Nando's as I like the style of the current website. It comes across as very cosmopolitan. I was also thinking of keeping things simple and choosing a travel brief such as lastminute.com and Virgin, although neither mention that an airport or travel stuff need to be included.

My mind is going more and more towards the animation brief though. It is for a character animation of your choice of not more that 20 to 60 seconds. It explains that you should concentrate on animating it's personality as opposed to just focusing on the look of the character. It can be based on yourself or someone you know or simply fictional. I did a few mind bubbles and came up with various characters I have met over the years. Thinking of people I work with past and present. What traits do they possess, what annoys me about them or what do I like about them. Thinking of all these things I came up with an idea of a grumpy bloke. There was once a pub I worked in, I only lasted one night mainly because of the man who ran the place. He was obnoxious, rude and very loud when talking to his staff, to the customers it was a different matter. I have been back since and being a customer ( he doesn't recognise me anymore), it was a totally different story, I saw a totally different side to him, noticed how much the pub meant to him, it was his life and he put all his energy into that, quite humbling.



I'd like to maybe bring two sides of a character out. One side to be grumpy, fed up with his job, getting old and a more day dreamer side. I spoke with Linzi who came second in the D & AD awards last year. I showed her three storyboard ideas one based on the evolution of dance (above). Really like this clip very funny. I was thinking of animating my own character to different music. The other clip was based on a idea whilst I was out in a bar a few weeks ago, the camera basically acts as the character's eye and the only time you see the character is when she looks in a mirror or through a reflection in the window, problem with this was it didn't fully answer the brief. My final idea was the landlord slob and he smokes, drinks, fed up but wishes he had done something else with his life.

1 comment:

Zachary Colbert said...

Dont forget to get your webcams out people and the spoils of victory will be shared! much appreciated!